Sunday, October 15, 2006

Sometimes, it's just too much......

Some of my BLOGMASTER friends have emailed concern about me, my family and why I have not been blogging regularly lately..... my response was as follows.

Although I read blogs daily; making honest attempts to respond, I find myself unable to post. The events of the past three months have left me physically and emotionally exhausted.

My mother remains in the hospital and there is no indication of when she will be discharged home. Beginning with what was supposed to be a simple hip replacement surgery, we as a family has suffered with her as she experienced kidney failure during surgery, three weeks in intensive care on a respirator, a total of eight blood transfusions, pneumonia post surgery, as well as an infection in the surgical site, requiring further surgery to cleanse the muscles and tissue in the surrounding area.

My mother, after 7 weeks in the city hospital was finally discharged to a local hospital where she remains, receiving physical therapy on a daily basis and has begun to walk again. At last there is hope..... I think.

Today, I telephoned the hospital and there was no answer in her room. I called my dad who informed me that redness has once again appeared on my mother's surgical site. He was certain my mother had been taken for x-rays to determine if an infection has not once again developed. We live one day at a time.

On the home front, I have been living in the same cottage for 15 years and was informed that my landlord died two weeks ago. My landlord also lived in Canada and his wife who hates Florida, will be selling this property to a local attorney who wants to build a parking lot on the site. I am going to be moving, most likely to St. Petersburg (where I work) but a time frame has not been established. The dogs and I are deeply rooted in this neighborhood and this will be a very difficult move.

Daisy my Pug, who I aquired 12 years ago when she was only 6 weeks old has developed canine cognitive dementia and her silly puppylike antics as she began to revert to puppy hood are no longer amusing but rather sad. Arthritis has set in and she is beginning to have a difficult time walking and tires easily. Medication is helping, and we will keep her home, comfortable and pain free until she chooses to leave us. I have had extensive conversations with a group of vetenarians and it's been agreed that surgery and euthanasia will not be options. As I type, she is at the door angrily barking at a neighborhood cat walking my.

The everloving MUGGS has become our caregiver; always by my side and sleeping next to Daisy at night to keep her warm.

Through your prayers and positive energy, we will survive!


ConnieJane said...

So sorry to hear about Daisy. Lovely that you and Muggs are there to take care of her.

I work for a realtor and property manager in Clearwater. If you are interested in staying in the area, email me and I'll see if we've got something available close by.

BostonPobble said...

Hey, I recognize that response. 24 more hours and I'm done and yours again, my friend.