Pages

Friday, February 09, 2007

Out and About

A former NBA player reveals in his new autobiography that he is gay and that he played years of pro basketball without his secret being exposed.

Journeyman center John Amaechi said he led an actively gay life during most of his time with the Cleveland Cavaliers, Orlando Magic and Utah Jazz between 1995 and 2003.

"Friends often marvel at the fact that my personal and professional lives remained largely separate for so long," the Boston born, British raised Amaechi writes in his book, "The Man in the Middle."



"When I was in New York during road trips, I'd check out Splash, a big gay club in Chelsea. . . . I was hiding, but in plain sight."

"The guys flaunted their perfect bodies. They bragged about their sexual exploits. . . . They primped in front of the mirror, applying cologne and hair gel by the bucketful," he writes.

"As I surveyed the room, I couldn't help chuckling to myself: And I'm the gay one. Hah!"

2 comments:

christine mtm said...

hubby watches pti, a show on sportscenter and they were talking about this last night. charles barkley was being interviewed about it and some of the negative comments about the whole thing. i gained some respect for him when he said something like, "i've played with lots of gay athletes and it's none of my business what they do in their personal lives."

he wasn't bothered by it and made that clear. if only there were more straight people in the public eye who did just that.

DE CORPO E ALMA said...

Did you read about the german football players from the Bundasliga? read Dos Manzanas from yesterday