Pages

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Calm



The Art of Joe Phillips

"I'm a supporter of gay rights. And not a closet supporter either. From the time I was a kid, I have never been able to understand attacks upon the gay community. There are so many qualities that make up a human being... by the time I get through with all the things that I really admire about people, what they do with their private parts is probably so low on the list that it is irrelevant." ~PaulNewman
I find incredible peace in the above art by Joe Phillips. A quiet place to rest, casually holding someone in the midst of everything else going on around them (through the rails of the balcony is a billboard showcasing Gay R&B singer Ari Gold, featured in my above blog).
I need to be surrounded by that calm today. It's been a "week from hell" and I look forward to the weekend.
The after effects of hurricane Dennis (although we didn't get a direct hit) have been intense heat and humidity. I opened the newspaper on Tuesday and became angry at the people of Pensacola who were very irate that the food kitchens giving out free food had either not opened, or didn't have sufficient food or water to supply the block long waiting lines.
We knew for no less than 5 days that Dennis was projected to intensify in the Gulf of Mexico, and projected to make landfall in the panhandle. That means more than five days to "stock up on water, canned goods, etc."! Didn't anyone listen to the news?
To make matters worse, when the grocery stores opened early Tuesday, the same people were still angry, because they wanted "free food". These are the rednecks who are the most avid supporters of Big George and his brother our Governor, Baby Bush. "CJeb, feed your supporters!"
Speaking of Big George, who out there really thinks he'll ever dump Karl Rove. It ain't gonna happen!
I finally did it! I'm tired of going to the doctor or dentist with a set appointment time only to have to wait a half hour or much longer to be seen. I arrived at my dental appointment at 4:20PM for a 4:30 appointment. I signed in, completed the necessary paperwork and asked if the dentist was on schedule. I was told yes, and that he would see me as scheduled. At 4:35, the receptionist called me to the desk to inform me that the dentist was performing a "procedure" and would be delayed. With my very best smile and most pleasant demeanor, I said, "no problem can you please reschedule me?" I've now established a 15 minute rule. She rescheduled me to be first on the list immediately after lunch, one week from today! I just hope he's not late coming back from lunch.
My boss is on vacation for another week. I'm in charge. Hurry home Kathy, before I completely lose it!
Let's hope the weekend brings me much calm and someone to hold (or some reasonable facimile). PEACE!
The Art of Joe Phillips is featured on his website. www.joephillips.com

No comments: