Pages

Saturday, March 11, 2006

009's morning after pick me up!

On those rare occasions when I know I'm going to have an overnight guest, I try to fool them into thinking I'm somewhat domesticated. This is an easy and impressive breakfast recipe. I make it the night before and just have to bake it in the morning which leaves me time to entertain my guest.... first a cup of Gevalia coffee in bed, then while he's in the shower, begin baking.... after you've dried his/her back with a big fluffy towel, another cup of coffee, a mimosa, and ..........

Breakfast Casserole




1 pkg.Regular Flavor Jimmy Dean Pork Sausage
10 eggs, lightly beaten
3 cups milk
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon salt
6 cups cubed bread
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped (optional)
1/2 cup thin-sliced green onions (optional)


Preheat oven to 325 F. In large skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until thoroughly cooked and no longer pink. In large mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, mustard and salt; stir well. Distribute half the bread evenly in a buttered 9" x 13" x 2" baking dish. Sprinkle with half the pepper, half the cheese, half the sausage and half of each optional ingredient. Repeat layering using remaining bread, pepper, cheese, sausage and optional ingredients. Pour egg mixture evenly over casserole. Bake uncovered for 55-60 minutes, or until eggs are set. Tent with foil if top begins to brown too quickly.

Note: may be assembled ahead and refrigerated up to 12 hours before baking.

6 servings

I also serve this on Thanksgiving and Christmas mornings

5 comments:

RED QUILT MAKER said...

Hey, you been holding out on us!

Don't give us that...I don't cook anymore.

And...a big fluffy towel too.

rQm

btw...the verification was..xeysp or sexyp...that would be for sexy pugs, right?

sttropezbutler said...

LOL at rQM...and book me in for an overnight and soon!

STB

I could just come for breakfast to.....

Jaded said...

This sounds perfect for Christmas morning! Actually, I think I'll make it for Easter morning... we'll eat after the egg hunt, but before the candy feast!

Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

You give them food? I usually just leave cash on the dresser and a note asking them to leave before I get out of the shower. LOL Just kidding.

Blogzie said...

Why you little dickens!

Holding out on us with your recipes.

I just knew you could heat things up in the kitchen as well as every other room in the house.

This sounds beyond yummy, especially the part about drying me off with a big fluffy towel.

I wanna come to your house!

And STB's is coming for breakfast?

What more could this XY girl want?

Ruben is too funny and rQm is talking about sexy plugs? What?

I don't know if I'm coming or going...

xxx000xxx