Pages

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

The Answer.............

I'm frequently asked why I post about the "outings" of politicians and religious leaders and I've tried to answer as honestly as I could. Today one of my BLOGMASTERS: Keith Boykin author, lecturer and political activist answered that question very well on his website:
KEITH BOYKIN




"When is it okay to out someone who is closeted and gay?"

"I've never been a fan of outing just for the sake of outing. Private citizens have the right to remain in the closet if they choose to do so. So too do public figures. But when public figures use their platform to champion causes against the civil rights of minorities, those minorities have the right to question them. And when closeted public figures use their notoriety to promote vicious homophobia, I believe we have the right to expose their hypocrisy."

"It doesn't matter if you're a preacher, a performer or a politician. Your right to privacy ends when you violate my right to liberty."

5 comments:

CrackerLilo said...

I sort of agree with that. People who are privately (actively) gay yet publicly anti-gay are hypocrites, taking advantage of new freedoms and their community by night and making things harder for their siblings by day. I think they deserve exposure.

BostonPobble said...

Gotta agree with you and Cracker. Keep your mouth shut and maintain your own privacy OR expect to be outted. And, hello! Anyone hoping to maintain THAT level of privacy and anonymity shouldn't be looking online in the first place. "Hey! Let's take this very private aspect of me that I'm so ashamed of that I have to try and persecute others like me and put it out into cyberspace!!!!" (the Pobble rolls her eyes) At the same time, I appreciate your refusal to out for the sake of outting. Hell, I just appreciate you. ;)

Hikaru said...

Completely agree as well. James West is a prime example of the type who should be outed.

Waiting to see the same happen to Santorum and Hatch. (And if there's something on Sensenbrenner, I'll be very happy.)

Anonymous said...

I agree whole heartedly and I think the hypocrites deserve the worst.

Blogzie said...

Oh I so agree.

Excellent post, as always.