Pages

Sunday, September 04, 2005

2 am

Gotcha!



It's 2:00 A. M. and I should be sleeping. I promised myself I'd take a mini-vacation from blogging this weekend. I spent a pleasant relaxing evening at my favorite neighborhood bar, the Pro Shop Pub. My friends Vinny and Tim were there as well as my favorite bartender, Steve.

The problem is, before I went out this evening, I made the mistake of reading another piece of garbage published by Agape Press.

Joining the "New Orleans is to blame for it's own woes" sentiment of
Michael Marcavage and others, yet another militantly anti-gay "leader" is now spewing his own wildly inappropriate thoughts. Agape Press quotes the Reverend Bill Shanks of New Orleans's New Covenant Fellowship Church as saying that hurricane Katrina has wiped out much of the rampant sin common to the city.

The pastor explains that for years he has warned people that unless Christians in New Orleans took a strong stand against such things as local abortion clinics, the yearly Mardi Gras celebrations, and the annual event known as "Southern Decadence" -- an annual six-day "gay pride" event scheduled to be hosted by the city this week -- God's judgment would be felt.

“New Orleans now is abortion free. New Orleans now is Mardi Gras free. New Orleans now is free of Southern Decadence and the sodomites, the witchcraft workers, false religion -- it's free of all of those things now," Shanks says.

"God simply, I believe, in His mercy purged all of that stuff out of there -- and now we're going to start over again." The New Orleans pastor is adamant. Christians, he says, need to confront sin. "It's time for us to stand up against wickedness so that God won't have to deal with that wickedness," he says.

Shanks heeded warnings to evacuate New Orleans, and is currently staying with friends in the Jackson, Mississippi, area.

This is what I have to say to Bill Shanks: First of all, why is your ass dry when you should be comforting the members of your congregation who have been displaced, are hungry, penniless or dead? You ran like a fool!

Secondly, and most importantly the survival of New Orleans before and after this horrific tragedy is dependent on TOURISM!

Tourism is the city’s most lucrative market. An estimated 10.1 million visitors came to New Orleans in 2004, with more than 1.4 million visiting for just a day. Total visitor spending amounted to $4.9 billion that year! Though many come to experience the food and music for which New Orleans is famous, many more come from around the world to participate in events celebrating all cultures.

I ask you this question, Bill...... how much of your money goes into the tax coffers of New Orleans and Louisiana? OOPS..... silly me. You're a benificiary of that "tax exempt" status! You don't contribute shit!

But after all of this is over, I am going to fight like hell to take that away from you.
Since religion is becoming more and more involved in the political arena, where is the "seperation of church and state"? It's time for the "tax exempt" status you so enjoy to END!

Now, another reminder Bill.......... and I have to repeat myself here.

READ CAREFULLY: The French Quarter, the heart of the Gay community in New Orleans, sustained minimal damage. Yep, that's right Bill. The Gay bars are still standing, and I for one will be enjoying life there as it once was. My Gay dollars will continue to flow into the tax coffers of New Orleans along with the millions of others who visit each year!

And by the way, Bill....... while you're freeloading in Jackson, Mississippi; sitting on your ass thinking about what hate to regurgitate; next I'm looking forward to going to New Orleans to volunteer in the relief effort! Am I going to see your bigoted ass there, Bill? Am I gonna see you handing out food and clothing to the hungry? Am I gonna see you embracing your parishoners and reminding them that this is a natural disaster and NOT the hand of God punishing New Orleans? How much of your tax-exempt dollars are you donating to the relief effort, Bill? Somehow, I see a big ZERO flash before my eyes!

OOPS...... and just one more thing, Bill. "God's judgement" as you call it seems to have been more focused on the "bible belt"! Yes Bill, the four states devastated by your "God's judgement" are all "bible belt" states. Maybe God is trying to tell YOU something. Stop spreading all this hate!

So let's stop the "blame game", shall we. This Natural Disaster affected not only Louisiana but also Mississippi, Alabama and Florida. Let's concentrate on helping the hundreds of thousands of people affected by this devastating hurricane. Open your wallet, Bill. Mine is already empty!

4 comments:

Connie in FL said...

Powerful words. Well placed.

sttropezbutler said...

Write ON!

Thanks for that.

STB

CrackerLilo said...

"Agape"...as in "mouth agape at the ignorance"? It certainly has nothing to do with agape love.

Totally makes me sick.

Jackson is where the Sweet Potato Queens are at. Won't he be surprised if he stays on!

I don't blame him or anyone else for evacuating, at all, but this is just disgusting.

BostonPobble said...

Sounds like you don't need a vacation from blogging (as my selfish butt screams NO!) but an escape from reading. Sick right now or I would have more energy to rave about this post too.